Thursday 25 July 2013

Tilly's picnic blanket skirt - buttoning it up



Well, I have been busy. I feel a bit like I haven’t been home for ages. I’ve been all over England and a fair bit of Europe, but I’m back at my sewing table and I’m content.

So I’ve returned to the picnic blanket skirt and after it spent so long as huge squares of fabric it’s really taken shape. The side seams are finished with mock french seams, the waistband is painstakingly slip stitched on and the pockets are floral and awesome. In fact the fabric I used for the pockets has come from my Mum’s stash and used to be the curtain fabric for my room when I was tiny.



Many many button options. No ironing.


Next I have to work out how I want to fasten the front of the skirt together. The pattern stipulates buttons, but I'm not sure. With the pale blue/grey colour all the buttons I’ve looked at look too cutesy. Instead I’m envisioning giant snaps, so that nothing shows. However, having never sewn with them before I’m a bit unsure of how well they’ll work, do I use plastic or metal? How big is ridiculous? And will the waistband pop open too easily? I don’t want to be standing up and leaving the skirt behind on a bus seat.

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite into the idea of the multi button approach - doesn't look cutesy but quite quirky and fun!
    But LOVE the idea of giant snaps; but yes, I would also be worried about inadvertent 'Bridget-Jones' style pant flashing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think, but please do leave your name, thank you!