Tuesday 21 May 2013

My sewing machine



This is my sewing machine, isn't it beautiful? It used to belong to my Nan and when she couldn't use it any more she gave it to me. It's a Singer 221K1 and aside from needing a bit of oil, it's working just fine today 50 years since it was manufactured.


The metal work is gorgeous, but most importantly it still has all the instruction booklets! I think I'd still be working out how to thread it otherwise. The page below was printed in 1963 and is a little sexist but it totally still applies to me. I certainly spend all my own income. Nobody else will give me any of theirs. 


Taken from "A Manual of Family Sewing Machines" Published by Singer in 1963

The machine is perfect for a nervous new sewer, it goes nice and slowly and there aren't too many bells and whistles. It only sews in a straight line and most of the time that suits me just fine. Mind you I think I'm still trying to master the "straight" part. There is also a little light that heats up so alarmingly I figure it must have a second function as a finger warmer - energy efficient it aint.

In the tray that sits in the top of the carry case is a little trove of treasures. It's full of twisted bits of metal (binding feet aparently?) and boxes of grease and needles which look like they were purchased with the machine. I'm slowly working my way through all the feet trying to figure out what they all do. Sadly what I don't have is a foot capable of a zig zag stitch which is making finishing the edges of my rapidly unravelling fabric an absolute nightmare, but more on that later. 

Weird but true, it also smells amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think, but please do leave your name, thank you!