Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Great British Sewing Bee



So, did you see the finale of the Great British Sewing Bee last night? I’ve been religiously watching the (tiny) series and wishing it was longer. 

I loved that the series was all about techniques rather than fashion-forward-ness. However, I think it could be even better if they ditched the twee customisation challenges. The surprise pattern and a pre-prepared masterpiece would have been more than enough and allowed more time for construction details. And wouldn’t it have been lovely if the BBC had published the surprise pattern on their website after each show? Although I guess they’re probably saving them for an accompanying book?  

I found it very difficult to choose a favourite contestant, but I did think the right woman won. Anne made such beautiful and classic garments and never seemed to get in a flap, but then what would you expect from someone with 75 years of experience? When she chose khaki linen for her mens shirt, I wasn’t sure, but the final product looked beautifully made and seemed to fit her body form so much better than the other sewers offerings.



I have a bit of a beginners query about Sandra’s evening wear (below). The judges said it draped perfectly and didn’t question the fit. I thought there was too much fullness under the bust, especially when you considered how closely it fitted over the hips.




My favourite evening dress from last night though was Laurens evening dress, whilst the style isn’t something I’d wear, I thought the fit and fabric were wonderful. Who doesn’t love sequins?!




Will there be another series? I really hope so! And if not, can I move into the studio please?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think, but please do leave your name, thank you!